Idris Elba's Ex-Wife Sonya Nicole Hamlin's Relationships After Divorce From The Actor-Is She Dating?
We might be familiar with Idris Elba for his role as a drug trafficker Stringer Bell on the HBO series The Wire. The very handsome and tall actor, who was ranked Essence's annual Sexiest Man of the Year 2013, makes many women fall for him.
The actor frequently comes into the limelight for his movies and romantic relationships. Elba's short-lived relationship with his second wife Sonya Nicole Hamlin made headlines in the past. We might know about Elba's relationship after the marriage but what about Hamlin? Has she found new love? Who is she dating currently? We have all the details here.
Idris Elba's Ex-wife Sonya Nicole Hamlin Current Relationship
Sonya Nicole Hamlin was in the limelight in 2016 after her short-lived married life with the famous actor and then-husband Idris Elba was broken in the media. Hamlin's marriage to Elba just lasted for 4 months in 2006 which she revealed in an interview with 2016.
Hamlin is a forty-seven-year-old US lawyer who has maintained a low profile ever since her divorce and she rarely makes public appearances.
Hamlin hasn't come open and introduced anyone as her partner after her separation from her former husband, Elba. She isn't as active on social media as well, so, tracking her current dating status isn't easy.
Well, we can say that Hamlin is possibly single. Or, she could very well be happy with a new man. Also, from how low-key she has been after the split from Elba, it seems like she doesn't want public attention to her life.
According to the sources, she currently resides in Maryland, on the Eastern Seaboard.
Sonya Nicole Hamlin and Idris Elba's Married Life
Hamlin and Elba's marriage didn't last for more than four months. According to The Sun, the British actor and the American lawyer got hitched at a wedding ceremony at Vegas Chapel on April 9, 2006.
The source revealed that Hamlin and Elba were introduced by one of Hamlin's college friends, the friend was also Elba's manager. After sharing a whirlwind romance, the pair decided to get married. Hamlin later revealed that she was drunk when they got married.
Hamlin soon filed for divorce against Elba in Maryland on June 6, 2006. But according to state law, a pair has to be married for a year before their divorce, so she filed for a divorce in Nevada.
It was reported that she was broken-hearted. One of her friends revealed that:
One of the reasons it ended was her practice was doing well here [in Nevada] but Idris wanted to be in L.A. At some point he had a choice between being a husband or a heartbreaker. He chose his career over her.
While another friend also explained:
It’s a heartbreak story. She cared about him and when they broke up it tore her up.
Hamlin also opened up about her relationship with Elba and said:
He was being told it was an important part of his image to be a single sex symbol in Hollywood and being married would damage that. It was very sad. Idris and I were madly in love, but he was getting a lot of flak for being married.
Elba was previously married to Hanne "Kim" Norgaard from 1999 to 2003. The actor was later involved in a relationship with the actress/ model Sabrina Dhowre. The couple started dating in the year 2017. The two became engaged on 10 February 2018. His future wife Sabrina accepted his marriage proposal while the actor was a screening of his movie Yardie at East London cinema.
The two tied the knot on 26th April 2019. The two organized their wedding ceremony in Marrakesh. The couple is sharing a beautiful marital relationship with each other. Idris and his spouse Sabrina currently reside in the U.S.
On the other hand, Sonya has remained a low profile life after their divorce. She rarely makes her public appearance. She is also quite less active on social media like Facebook and Instagram which is why it becomes much hard to trace out about her recent activities.
Sonya Nicole Hamlin: Quick Facts
- She was born in 1974 in the United States.
- She majored in property law.
- She came to the limelight following her marriage and controversial divorce with actor Idris Elba.
- Sonya was a resident of Notting Hill in London.
- She studied law at both Washington and London, specializing in property law.
- She was at an initial phase of her career when she met Idris. She had an office with around ten employees.
- The main reason for her divorce from Idris is her passion for law. She could not abandon her practice and relocate as her then-husband wanted her to move to another city to pursue his acting career.
- She is a huge fan of boxing and loves watching the weigh-ins.
- She loves English chocolate. It does no harm to say that it's her passion.
- In her leisure time, she loves listening to music and spending time by the seaside.
- As of 2019, she is aged 45 years.
- She belongs to American nationality and regarding her ethnicity, she is an Afro-American.
- In the year 2009, she was filed for bankruptcy.
- Her house worth is £400,000 ($508,360).
Idris Elba: Quick Facts
- Elba was born Idrissa Akuna Elba.
- His birthday is on 6 September, he was born in 1972 under the sign Virgo.
- He was born in Hackney, London, England.
- His nickname is DJ Big Driis.
- The actor is 6' 2¾" (1.9 m) tall.
- Elba attended the National Youth Music Theatre.
- During his early career, he worked as DJ with the nickname DJ Big Driis.
- He debuted with a TV program, Crimewatch.
- He got his first lead role in a series on Bramwell in 1995.
- Elba's estimated net worth is $25million.
- He was awarded a MOBO Inspiration Award in 2014.
- He is a staunch supporter of Arsenal F.C.