Stand-up Comedian Dave Chappelle's Married Life Details-Did He Leave Comedy Beacuse Of His Wife?
Dave Chappelle is quite possibly the most iconic comedian from the '90s. The 'Half Baked' actor left the spotlight while at the peak of his career. His abrupt exit from the Comedy Central's ' Chapelle Show' shocked his fans all over the world. To the surprise of all his fans, Chappelle made a huge comeback last year with two Netflix comedy stand-up specials.
What was the notoriously private comedian/actor up to during his hiatus? Was he busy with this wife Elaine Chappelle and their three young kids or is there some trouble in paradise?
We have the answers for you right here!
Was Dave Chappelle's Wife Elaine The Reason For His Abrupt Exit From Comedy?
NO! It was not because of his wife he left Comedy Central's, Chapelle Show. In fact, his wife was the one who helped him get back to comedy. In an interview with CBS This Morning, the comedian cleared out the reason for the exit. He revealed the success he garnered was not as emotionally satisfying as he thought it would be.
During his timeout from comedy, he traveled to South Africa with his wife and kids. His family was his greatest support during low times. Dave's wife of nearly two decades was with him during his hiatus.
Dave Chappelle has been married to Elaine (Mendoza) Chappelle since 2001. They are one among the few drama-free and private Hollywood couples. Together for nearly two decades, the couple are proud parents of three beautiful kids. The family resides in a 65-acre farmhouse near Yellow Springs, Ohio with their children.
Chappelle is a happily married man and it looks like there is no trouble in paradise here. The couple just likes staying away from the spotlight. However, they often attend red carpet events and award ceremonies.
In an interview with Howard Stern, Chappelle recalled his first meeting with Elaine. He met her when he was in Brooklyn. They were in a relationship for a few years before exchanging their vows.
One of the couple’s rare sightings was back in 2010 when they attended the annual Philippines-American picnic together in Dayton, Ohio.
Chappelle described his small multi-cultural family in his signature humor and said
My wife is Asian, and my kids have somehow turned out to be Puerto Rican… My mother is half white. If I grew my hair out, you would think it was a Katt Williams concert.
Elaine Chappelle is a housewife and we think she has no troubles. The couple has been together for a long time. As her husband Dave Chappelle earns a hefty money with his $60 million deal with Netflix. It seems that she has always been a great supporter of him.
Dave Chappelle And Elaine Chappelle’s Children
The comedy actor Dave Chappelle shares three children, two sons and a daughter with his wife Elaine. Their names are; Sulayman, Ibrahim, and Sonal. He converted to Islam in 1998 before his marriage. Hence his children’s names are inspired by the Islamic name. But, his wife’s religious beliefs are not known.
It seems that Sulayman, Ibrahim, and Sonal have grown up in a multi-cultural environment. Now, they all are grown up and usually attend public events and functions with their parents.
Dave Chappelle: Quick Facts
- Dave Chappelle was born on August 24, 1973, in Washington, D.C.
- His birth name is David Khari Webber Chappelle.
- Her father is William David Chappelle II and mother Yvonne K Chappelle.
- He is working in Hollywood since 1982.
- Chappelle grew up in Silver Spring, Maryland.
- His comic inspirations are Eddie Murphy and Richard Pryor.
- He graduated from the Duke Ellington School of the Arts of the Washington University.
- He studied theatre arts at his graduation level.
- He then, moved to New York City to pursue his career.
- Initially, he performed stand-up comedy shows at Harlem’s famed Apollo Theater.
- He debuted in a musical-adventure film Robin Hood: Men in Tights (1993).
- In 1998, he played alongside Tom Hanks in a comedy film You’ve Got Mail.
- In 2003, he began his self-titled weekly sketch comedy show on Comedy Central.
- Chappelle is one of the greatest stand-up comedians of all time.
- His work has been praised by fellow comedians for his work Katt Williams and Kevin Hart.
- In August 2013, his impersonation of Prince from his show was selected by Prince as the cover art for his single Breakfast Can Wait.
- Chappelle won the Grammy Awards in 2018 on Best Comedy Album category from his Netflix special.
- His net worth is $42 million as of July 2018.