American Chef Andrew Zimmern Is Happily Married-Details On His Wife And Son
There is a saying that “The best apology is changed behavior’’. The phrase perfectly matches in the chef and television personality Andrew Zimmern’s life- he was a druggist and alcoholic when he was a young guy and used to hurt his closed once. He later realized his mistakes and started a new journey. Now, he is living his life as a 26-year-old sober man.
He was even a homeless for about a year, now owns a home in Minnesota. Despite his all struggles, he changed himself and became one of the reputed personalities of the American food industry.
He is married to his longtime girlfriend Rishia Haas and shares an adorable son with her. How is their relationship going on? Why he advocates gay rights? Here are all the answers!
Andrew Zimmern's Perfect Family: Wife And Son
American Chef and television personality Andrew Zimmern has been married to beautiful Rishia Haas since 2002. The pair is one of the longest running couples in the show business and their marriage shows the perfect example of true love.
Zimmern and Haas met while studying at a food college in Minnesota. The latter was a school kitchen storekeeper at that time. Eventually, the pair became friends and began dating officially despite huge age gap difference.
Finally, they exchanged the vows on 26 December 2002, in Minneapolis, St. Paul. Their wedding was graced by their family and close friends. After three years later, they welcomed their son Noah Zimmern.
Andrew Zimmern shares a close bond with his wife and son. He mostly spends his leisure time with them. The family of three frequently visit museums, beaches and go for horse riding which is Noah’s favorite thing to do.
View this post on Instagram
In 2016, in an interview, he revealed that his hobby was to collect expensive knives- which his wife is against of. He added that he used to hide bills of those knives from his wife.
The family of three now resides in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Why Andrew Zimmern Publicly Supports Gay Rights?
A chef is a kind-hearted man, he publicly supports gay rights. Gay men raised him after his biological parent’s separation when he was a young child. He revealed about his childhood and upbringing in 2014 with food magazine Eater.
Following the interview, he took Instagram and thanked his two fathers for all the love and care they provided him. Through the same post, he wished their 47 years of togetherness and wrote: "I love my dads. 47 years together. I wish every child could have parents as loving caring and nurturing."
View this post on Instagram
Andrew Zimmern not only supports gay advocacy but also criticized those who mark negative comment on gay people. In 2017, he took the matter and share his own story and called the judge an imbecile for his opinions after Kentucky judge refused to hear the adoption petition of a same-sex people.
On that story, Zimmern added that gay parents were better than abusive and careless heterosexual parents.
Again in January 2018, he slammed haters for their biased and sexist remarks towards gay couples via his Twitter. Apart from it, he has advocated for gay rights and LGBTIQ community for a long time.
Andrew Zimmern: Quick Facts
- Andrew Scott Zimmern was born on 4 July 1961, in New York City.
- He was born and raised in a Jewish family.
- He attended the Dalton School.
- He graduated with a culinary degree from Vassar College.
- Zimmern once addicted to alcohol and drug and eventually became homeless for about one year.
- He is now a 26-year-old sober man.
- He served numerous restaurant as a manager in New York City.
- He initially started writing columns for Delta Sky Magazine.
- He later became a food news reporter for Fox 9 News and HGTV’s Rebecca’s Garden.
- In 2006, he began his new show Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern on the Travel Channel.
- The show lasted for the 15th season and 100th episodes.
- Zimmern traveled to numerous countries to promote his show.
- In 2010, 2013 and 2017, he received the James Beard Award for Outstanding TV Food personality.
- Zimmerman has been a guest lecturer for numerous food and culinary college throughout the world.
- His net worth is $8 million as of September 2018.
- He stands at 1.8 meters.
- He has published four food books to date.