'My Big Fat Greek Wedding' Actress Nia Vardalos And Husband Ian Gomez Split After 25-Year-Long Marriage
Actress Nia Vardalos And Husband Ian Gomez's 25-Year-Long Married Life Ends
- My Big Fat Greek actress Nia Vardalos filed for divorce from her husband of 25 years, Ian Gomez.
- The actress filed the documents in the Los Angeles court on Tuesday, 3rd July.
- Vardalos revealed irreconcilable differences as the cause of their divorce where she also disclosed that the ex-couple has been living separately for a year.
- Vardalos and Ian Gomez share a daughter, Ilaria Vardalos Gomez, whom they adopted in 2008 and the couple is seeking for the joint custody of their daughter.
- They spent almost 24 years together as husband and wife since their marriage on 5 September 1993.
My Big Fat Greek Wedding alum Nia Vardalos and her husband Ian Gomez have split after 25-year-long married life.
People reported Vardalos filed for divorce from her husband in Los Angeles County on Tuesday, 3rd July. The court documents obtained by The Blast reveals the 55-year-old actress irreconcilable differences as the reason for their divorce.
The court documents also revealed that the couple has been separated since 29 June 2017, nearly 24 years after they tied the knot. In the documents, Vardalos requested joint legal custody of their 11-year-old daughter Ilaria Vardalos Gomez.
The ex-couple announced their separation in a joint statement where they said,
We've been respectfully separated for a lengthy period of time. Our relationship became a friendship so the decision to end the marriage is completely mutual and amicable. It is our hope that decency will prevail on the reporting of this story which will soon be yesterday’s news. Thank you for respecting our privacy.
Previously, Nia told People
I'm a private person, who doesn't relish making her personal life public.
She further said,
I kept so much of what I went through quiet because of my feelings of failure. But now I realize that's truly ridiculous and I feel a responsibility to use my big fat mouth to talk about this issue.
Vardalos and Gomez, 53, got married on September 5, 1993. The famous 2002 movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding was inspired by Vardalos' real-life love story with her husband Gomez who was also starred in the film.
Vardalos and Gomez share a daughter, Ilaria Vardalos Gomez together whom they adopted in 2008.