James Garner was a renowned American actor and producer famous for starring in more than 50 films and several TV series in a career that lasted over five decades. It goes without saying the actor made a small fortune for himself through his successful professional career.
Here is a quick summary of the net worth, career achievements, and awards of the talented individual who tragically pa s sed away in 2014.
James Garner's Net Worth Prior To His Death
James Garner had an estimated net worth of $20 million. His source of income included his salary and earnings from his career as an actor, producer and voice actor.
Garner earned an annual salary of $100,000 as the television and radio spokesperson for four years from 1985-1989. Earlier in 1974, he made $100,000 per episode from the TV series The Rockford Files. He starred on the show for 6 years till 1980. Likewise, back in 1956, the actor's weekly salary stood at $2,000 as a contract player for Warner Bros.
CAPTION: James Garner had an estimated net worth of $20 million SOURCE: Time
In his more recent years, Garner's projects included the likes of The Notebook, Promise, Maverick, and Barbarians at the Gate. One of James' most notable movies, The Notebook made $115 million worldwide. All of his movies and shows have added well to his net worth.
Talking about his properties, Garner lived in his home in Los Angeles, California prior to his death.
Earlier, James once owned a 400-acre ranch in Los Olivos. He lived there throughout the 90s, before selling the ranch in 2000 for $8.75 million, as per the Los Angeles Times reports.
James Garner's Career And Achievements
James Garner began his career as a model when he was in high school. After graduation, he moved to the army and served for a few years. Later in 1954, he was offered a role in the drama titled The Caine Mutiny Court-Martial.
Garner did many TV commercials before he landed roles in shows. He began with the show titled Cheyenne. Likewise, his first movie was released in 1956 called The Girl Left Behind.
CAPTION: Actor, producer and voice artist James Garner SOURCE: Bangor Daily News
Subsequently, James got involved in big projects such as Maverick, The Great Escape, Americanization of Emily, and The Rockford Files. Prior to his death in 2014, he was working on the show, The Ultimate Life.
When it comes to awards, Garner was a well-decorated man. He won awards such as Screen Actors Guild's Lifetime Achievement Award and Career Achievement Award by Television Critics Association. Moreover, he was nominated for Emmys fifteen times in his career.
James Garner: Quick Facts
- Born on 7th April 1928 in Norman, Oklahoma.
- His birth sign was Aries.
- His parents were Warren Bumgarner and Mildred Scott Meek.
- He had two older brothers named Jack Garner and Charles Bumgarner.
- He went to Hollywood High School.
- He is best known for his roles on the television shows Maverick and The Rockford Files.
- He starred in more than fifty films.
- He briefly worked as a model for Jantzen bathing suits.
- He joined the United States Merchant Marine aged 16.
- He played the father of Katey Sagal on the television show titled 8 Simple Rules.
- He married Lois Clarke in 1956 with whom he raised two daughters, one they had together and the other from Lois' former husband.
- He was nominated for an Oscar for his role in the Rachel McAdams starring movie The Notebook.
- He died of a ma s sive heart attack on 7th April 1928 aged 86.